Sunday, April 05, 2009

Apology to Robert Jackson; More on Ben Chavis's well-deserved RIPPING of Charles Barron

I owe NY City Council member Robert Jackson an apology for a case of mistaken identity.  After I heard he spoke out against mayoral control during the morning panel of the Eq Equality Day on Friday, when I saw a City Council member go off on a rant on the same topic during the lunch panel, I naturally assumed it was Jackson.  In fact, it was another City Council member, Charles Barron (I've never seen or met either of them).
 
Barron, by all accounts, is a true jackass -- he actually said during his rant that inner-city kids should be focusing on home ec and woodworking (this article by Elizabeth Green of GothamSchools.org on the idiotic things he had to say:
 
Barron is also a bully and, like most bullies, a coward.  Here's more on the confrontation between he and Ben Chavis that I mentioned in yesterday's email, as recounted to me by Chavis and multiple witnesses:
 
Chavis observed Barron berating one of the conference organizers, bringing that person to tears, and didn't like it one bit -- he thought Barron was being a bully, so and went up to him and, face only inches from Barron's, started RIPPING him, saying (I'm not making this up): "You're a mother f-ing black pimp, you're f-ing our kids.  Come to the reservation and I'll beat your ass.  You want our kids to take Home Ec?  YOU should wear a dress!"

Barron replied, "Well we're here, so let's do it right now."  Chavis said OK and started heading for the exit.  Barron, seeing Chavis was dead serious about fighting him, quickly wimped out and instead threatened to having Chavis kicked out of the hotel.  They shouted obscenities at each other, with Chavis getting the last words as they separated, saying "You're a pimp!  You're a pimp!"
 
I LIKE this guy! 
 
Here's another story I heard about Chavis: when he became principal of the first American Indian Charter School, he went down to the street corner where the drug dealers were hanging out.  They said, "What the hell are you doing here, white man."  To which he replied, "I'm not white, I'm Indian -- and I'll pay you $5 if you bring back any of my students who should be in school."  They said, "Hell, for $5, we'll not only bring them back, we'll beat them up for you!"  "No need for that," Chavis replied.  "Just bring them back."
 
As I said, I LIKE this guy!  I'm not sure I'd recommend all of his methods, but they seem to work for him -- and, most importantly, his students!

 Subscribe in a reader