Saturday, July 29, 2006

Black and Blue

I know many Republicans would like to reach out to African-American voters and politicians, especially on the issue of school reform -- and I applaud this.  I don't think anyone is well served with African-Americans vote in lockstep -- and can be taken for granted by Democrats.  But Republicans have a high hurdle to overcome, as Krugman notes:
---------------------------------------------
July 24, 2006
Op-Ed Columnist

Black and Blue

According to the White House transcript, here’s how it went last week, when President Bush addressed the N.A.A.C.P. for the first time:

THE PRESIDENT: “I understand that many African-Americans distrust my political party.”

AUDIENCE: “Yes! (Applause.)”

But Mr. Bush didn’t talk about why African-Americans don’t trust his party, and black districts are always blue on election maps. So let me fill in the blanks.

 Subscribe in a reader