Thursday, August 10, 2006

Calling Their Bluff

Good for Stossel!

Then there were more meetings. Finally, four days before what was supposed to be my first day of class, they canceled. Officially, "they" were the public school administrators who said it might be "disruptive" and that it might "set a precedent" that would open their doors to other reporters.

Too bad. Letting cameras into schools would be a good thing. Taxpayers might finally get to see how more than $200,000 per classroom of their money was being spent.

I wonder why the union even made the challenge. I suspect the UFT didn't expect me to say yes. When I turned out not to be easily intimidated, the teachers' union and the government school monopoly folded. Perhaps there's a lesson there.

But I wasn't trying to call a bluff. I wanted to accept an invitation. I'd like 20/20's cameras to see me struggle to be a good teacher.

I wonder what else our cameras might see.

----------------------

April 6, 2006 Edition > Section: Opinion > Printer-Friendly Version

Calling Their Bluff

BY JOHN STOSSEL - JFS Productions Inc.
April 6, 2006
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/30552

Last month, 500 angry schoolteachers assembled outside my office. The United Federation of Teachers was furious that "Stupid in America," a "20/20" show I did on education, suggested that some union teachers were lazy. They shouted that I didn't understand how difficult teaching was, and chanted, "Shame on you!"

Randi Weingarten, head of New York City's union, took the microphone and hollered, "Just teach for a week!" She said I could select from many schools. "We got high schools, we got elementary schools, we got junior high schools!"

I accepted. I even said I'd let the union pick the school. I thought I'd learn more about how difficult teaching is. Above all, it was a chance to get our cameras into schools - something the N.Y. bureaucracy had forbidden - so we could show you what was really going on.

But it won't happen....

 Subscribe in a reader