Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Kopp/Colbert comment

Another friend had a different take on the end of Colbert's interview with Wendy Kopp:

In contrast to your friend’s perception, I actually think that Colbert was caught off guard when the answer to the teacher question was no.  The way he was gearing up for it, I think he expected the answer to be Yes, and then he was going to make a joke.  When she said No, it was kind of awkward, and he really didn’t have anything to say, which is why he misspoke and then cut of the conversation quickly afterwards. Previous to that, he had done a good job setting her up to talk about the benefits of teach for America and make the points she wanted.

I figured he had Wendy on the show to bring attention to her organization and the issues.  I was actually very impressed by his doing this, I don’t know if I’ve seen her invited to any of the other late night shows.

I don’t know for sure the relationship Colbert has with his guest, but I don’t think his mission was to take cheap shots at TFA.  It was just a joke gone bad.

 Subscribe in a reader