Thursday, November 08, 2007

Another ed school experience



Another friend's comments on his experience at an ed school (in this case, Columbia Teachers College, one of the most respected ed schools):

To jump on the ed school bashing pile ...  I took two courses at Columbia TC while working full time in NYC several years  ago, and I have to say that no single experience turned me off of working in education more.  I have been in some of the worst schools in the most depressed neighborhoods in the country, but the blight of urban American  public schools was nothing compared to the complacency, heck, complicity, in  the classroom at TC.  I remember one day in particular during which an  instructor told the class -- and this is no exaggeration -- to "ignore writers who use business metaphors, because they know nothing about education."   No successful industry has ever ignored the practices of outsiders ... how  else are we to learn and grow?!  You wouldn't believe how I was ostracized in that class for challenging the conventional "wisdom."

         In  any event, I thought I'd share the anecdote with you ... reading your blog  today was a special kind of catharsis for me after that horrifying TC  experience.


 Subscribe in a reader