Friday, September 12, 2008

Comment on Obama's speech

I thought Obama's speech (www.iht.com/bin/printfriendly.php?id=15733538) was AMAZING overall and solid on education (given that this is, unfortunately, not one the major issues Americans are focused on right now).  Sort of interesting that his first mention of this topic was a plug for the largest-scale, most successful voucher program ever!
in the faces of those young veterans who come back from Iraq and Afghanistan, I see my grandfather, who signed up after Pearl Harbor, marched in Patton's army, and was rewarded by a grateful nation with the chance to go to college on the GI Bill.
Here was the main part on education reform -- I especially liked the part about higher standards and more accountability:

America, now is not the time for small plans. Now is the time to finally meet our moral obligation to provide every child a world-class education, because it will take nothing less to compete in the global economy.

You know, Michelle and I are only here tonight because we were given a chance at an education. And I will not settle for an America where some kids don't have that chance.

(APPLAUSE)

I'll invest in early childhood education. I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries, and give them more support. And in exchange, I'll ask for higher standards and more accountability.

And we will keep our promise to every young American: If you commit to serving your community or our country, we will make sure you can afford a college education.

 Subscribe in a reader