Some great quotes
Some great quotes (thanks to Gwen Samuel of the State of CT Black Alliance):
· "I for one believe that if you give people a thorough understanding of what confronts them and the basic causes that produce it, they'll create their own program, and when the people create a program, you get action." Malcolm X
· Education then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, the balance-wheel of the social machinery. Horace Mann
· Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual). Ayn Rand
· People pay for what they do and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it very simply; by the lives they lead. James A. Baldwin
· Now I say that with cruelty and oppression it is everybody's business to interfere when they see it. Anna Sewell
· The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.
· Education is our only political safety. Outside of this ark all is deluge. Horace Mann
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.