Saturday, October 10, 2015

The share of the black voting-age population that actually voted in the 2012 election exceeded the share of eligible white

A correction/amplification from one of my readers:
 
I wanted to send over a brief note in response to your suggestion that "poor and minority folks vote in far lower numbers [than white voters]." 
 
While that's traditionally been true, the share of the black voting-age population that actually voted in the 2012 election exceeded the share of eligible white voters in the same election. Similarly, in 2008, black and white election participation rates were quite close. (A brief discussion of the trends is included here.) At the same time that these voting trends emerged, black voters were facing unprecedented barriers to access to the polls, as your email illustrated. 
 
I only flag this fact for you because I believe that the heightened participation of black voters illustrates the patriotism among many voters of color who are determined to remained engaged in an electoral system often designed to exclude them – and is worth celebrating.
 
While my statement that "poor and minority folks vote in far lower numbers [than white voters]" is true, that's driven by much lower Hispanic, not black, voting, so my reader makes an important point. I think it's fantastic that a higher percentage of black (vs. white) adults voted in 2012 and hope this continues (though my real hope is that ALL adults vote in greater numbers).

 Subscribe in a reader