Sunday, March 18, 2007

An essay by the KIPP TEAM student (and a TEAM video)

Here's another essay from the young 8th grader at KIPP TEAM Academy:
The nurse came to speak to her in private and said, “If your son has no health insurance, he can’t be treated here.”  She turned and walked down the long hospital halls before Nik’s mom could respond.

            I couldn’t believe the words that had just flown out of her mouth so calmly, without a care.  ‘Nik was in a fatal condition, yet the hospital rejected him.  That day, I set a goal for myself that was extremely challenging.  Newark needs a hospital that loves its clients; a hospital that can help people in times of need.  I plan on being the African American woman to give that to Newark.  I am going to work hard to get through college and medical school to become a pediatrician, but that is not my final destination.  I want to build a hospital in Newark.  I want to give back to my hometown for teaching me all that I know.

To learn more about KIPP TEAM, check out this 6-minute video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2roFmHX9RNY
-------------------

            A 14 year-old young man had his heart set on football. Football was going to be his way out of Newark.  He refused to end up like his two older brothers, one a gang banger and car thief, and the other in jail with a 4 month old baby girl.  He had better things to do with his life.

            One day, the two of us were walking to Vailsburg Park, where he practiced every day, and a stolen car suddenly came screeching down South Orange Avenue and gave us little to no time to get out of the way.  I managed to get out of the way, but my friend wasn’t as fortunate.  The white Cherokee slammed into his waist, without attempting to stop.  Instantly, his hipbone shattered as he flew 10 feet in the air.  As he fell, he slammed onto the street and his right ribcage collapsed.  Tears poured out of my eyes overfilling like a cup of water.  I screamed as if everything was in slow motion.

            The ambulance arrived and I was more than thankful for the person who dialed 911.  They rushed us to Beth Israel Hospital where ‘Nik muttered, “don’t let me die.”  I told him not to worry and that I’d protect him.  The nurse came out to get him off the truck just as his mother arrived.  I was unsure of how she found out.  The nurse came to speak to her in private and said, “If your son has no health insurance, he can’t be treated here.”  She turned and walked down the long hospital halls before Nik’s mom could respond.

            I couldn’t believe the words that had just flown out of her mouth so calmly, without a care.  ‘Nik was in a fatal condition, yet the hospital rejected him.  That day, I set a goal for myself that was extremely challenging.  Newark needs a hospital that loves its clients; a hospital that can help people in times of need.  I plan on being the African American woman to give that to Newark.  I am going to work hard to get through college and medical school to become a pediatrician, but that is not my final destination.  I want to build a hospital in Newark.  I want to give back to my hometown for teaching me all that I know.  I learned many valuable lessons that I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else.

            For so many years, Newark’s residents have had “just enough” money to buy everyday needs.  Large populations of people in Newark don’t consider health care as a necessity, but when their children get injured, they don’t have the money needed to cover the expenses.  It hurts me to know that I come in contact with people each day that can’t afford insurance.

            Some of my friends tell me that my dreams are bigger than life and I would say to them, if I have to become bigger than life to accomplish my goals, then that’s what I’ll do.

            I want my accomplishments to set an example for every other youth living in poverty.  I want it to show them that poverty shouldn’t be a reason for not accomplishing your dreams.

            The hospital that I plan to open will make an impact on Newark that has yet to be made.  And if it takes 40 years to accomplish, then that’s what I’ll give to make it happen.

 

Epilogue

            ‘Nik’s mom ended up taking him to University Hospital where they made a deal with her that they would treat her son if she signed a contract saying that she would pay the medical bills over time.  She filed a lawsuit against Beth Israel Hospital but apparently, it was never recognized.

            He has had two constructive surgeries and about two years of therapy since then, to regain the strength in the lower portion of his body.  The summer of 2005 was the first time since the tragic accident, that he played football with his former Pop Warner team.  He managed to score a touchdown and catch an interception.  ‘Nik was strong, just like my dreams, and the strong always come through in the end.

 Subscribe in a reader