Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Randi on Eduwonk



Randi Weingarten is following in Chris Cerf's footsteps as a guest blogger on Andy Rotherham's Eduwonk.  Kudos to her for being willing to argue her point of view on a reform-oriented web site.  In general, I think that people involved in the school reform debate tend to hang out -- both in person and online -- with like-minded people (I'll admit to being guilty of this some -- much? -- of the time), so what Randi is doing is important.  Hey, maybe someday I'll be invited to guest blog on Edwize!  (The UFT's blog at www.edwize.org <http://www.edwize.org> .)

Needless to say, I disagree with nearly everything Randi writes, but that's a story for another time.  In the meantime, I'll refer you to some of my past comments about charter schools:




-------------
Chartering Educational Excellence: Why Teachers Matter Most
Randi Weingarten
Opinions here are my own and not necessarily those of the United Federation of Teachers, where I serve as President.

<http://www.eduwonk.com/2007/08/chartering-educational-excellence-why.html>
 
In 1988, Al Shanker, the late president of the American Federation of Teachers, launched the country's charter school movement. While there were many founding contributors to this school reform that now educates over 1 million students in 4,000 schools, no one was more influential in developing the charter school concept and promoting it nationwide than Al.

 Subscribe in a reader