Friday, August 03, 2007

This Week's Education Gadfly: "Buying in" with Obama


 

Regarding this article by Mike Petrilli about his question to Obama (at the same event my mom was at -- see her comments at:
http://tilsononobama.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-mom-met-obama.html), did he really say this?

''I would not reauthorize No Child Left Behind until I got the teachers' buy-in.''

Another big sigh...

-----------------------------

 <http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&amp;cmd=track&amp;j=155696306&amp;u=1515533>

From Mike's Desk

''Buying in'' with Obama

Two weeks ago, I escaped from Washington's oppressive humidity and headed with my wife's family to New Hampshire's Lake Sunapee. Like any Granite State vacationer I hoped for sunny days, cool, relaxing nights, and, of course, a visit from a major presidential candidate.

New Hampshire did not disappoint. A few days into our trip we spotted a flyer at the Sunapee Harbor announcing that none other than Senator Barack Obama would be speaking there two days hence; all were invited. Ice cream would follow. Say no more; we RSVP'd. (They needed to know how much ice cream to order.)

The big day arrived and with it a downpour. No matter. Hundreds squeezed under a small tent set up for summer concerts. We were among the last to arrive, so we settled for a spot under an improvised tarp. Occasional leaks sent rainwater flopping down onto my wide-rimmed hat (hastily purchased moments before at the Wild Goose Country Store; I don't bring an umbrella on my vacations).

The candidate was late, of course, allowing the excitement and anticipation to build. We talked about what questions we'd ask him if we had a chance.

 Subscribe in a reader