Monday, November 08, 2010

Fred Murphy book-

Fred Murphy, a superstar AP European History teacher at Frederick Douglass Academy in Harlem, has written a book that he's hoping to get published.  Here's an introduction from him:

 This fall will mark my 27th year teaching in NYC, and my 25th in Harlem and the South Bronx

 I was teacher at Rice High School on 124th st. and Lenox Ave. for eleven years. After Rice, I taught at All Hallows in the South Bronx for two years, and I am presently beginning my twelfth year at the Frederick Douglass Academy on 149th street in Harlem.

 I have written a memoir, Same River, New Water that focuses on my life teaching both in Catholic School as well as the New York City Public School system. Most significantly, it profiles the young people, my fellow teachers, and the varied classroom and neighborhood moments that have greatly impacted me. I am a teacher, a lifer, pure and simple, and this book follows my career arc, from of the onset of crack in Harlem in the mid-eighties to the present wave of gentrification above 110th street. Most importantly, each teaching day of the last quarter century has been one where race, in myriad forms, has impacted and informed me.

This is not a seamless chronological narrative; it represents a series of events and moments that flash before my eyes when I look back at what I have done, and what I continue to do.

 I have attached a copy of "Same River," and I would be very appreciative if you could take the time and read it.

  I am hoping to generate interest, and get published, pure and simple.

 Subscribe in a reader