Wednesday, February 19, 2014

More on Blasio

At the other end of the Democratic party from Cory Booker is, I fear, Bill de Blasio, who is going to win in a landslide on Tuesday. I sincerely hope that he won't be a disaster for NYC schoolchildren, especially the 6% currently in charter schools. Seeing what Vincent Gray has done in DC gives me at least a bit of hope…
 
More broadly, I hope he won't be a disaster for NYC in general. I've met him on a couple of occasions and he seemed like a bright enough guy, but I spoke yesterday with a friend who's had extensive dealings with him and he told me: "He may well be the least qualified, least capable person ever to become mayor of NYC. He's not very smart, has bad judgment and zero managerial experience. Our only hope is that he surrounds himself with good people." This is from a lifelong, very active Democrat! I sure hope he's wrong…
 
I am stunned at how little the people of NYC appreciate the incredible job Mike Bloomberg has done. Maybe it's like air: you don't appreciate it until you lose it – and then you'll do anything to get it…

 Subscribe in a reader