Wednesday, June 18, 2014

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo standing strong on reform

Kudos to NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo for standing strong on reform! Incidentally, I wasn't there (it conflicted with the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting), but contrary to what the story reports, I'm not sure there were any hedge fund managers there – it was mostly elected Democrats and activists.

Governor Andrew Cuomo apologized to hedge funders who gathered in Lake Placid that he wasn't able to attend their pro-charter school conference, despite having been made "honorary chair."

"I wish I could be with you in person, but I am stuck downstate today," Cuomo said in a four-minute video he sent on May 5 in place of his attendance. "But thank you for coming. Enjoy the conference, and I hope to be with you soon."

Cuomo was expected to attend the national conference, hosted by Democrats for Education Reform. His video appearance followed an announcement by teachers' unions and public school advocates that they would rally outside the Whiteface Lodge on the opening day.


 Subscribe in a reader