Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Violence in our schools

 I was in London a few weeks ago and met someone who runs charter schools there, who used to run charters in Chicago. When I asked him what the main difference was, he said (I'm paraphrasing from memory): "The violence. It's almost non-existent here in England, whereas in Chicago it was so pervasive that I almost became immune to how it affected every aspect of children's lives (including, of course, their education). It was only when I came here and could experience what it was like running schools with children who didn't face the constant threat of violence that I could see how incredibly destructive it is."
 
Very sobering… This has devastating consequences for our society, especially among those struggling the most…but gun fanatics – the most powerful lobby in America – defeat any attempt to pass even the most sensible and obvious legislation that would help take guns off the streets.
 

 Subscribe in a reader